Evening thinking about Christmas right now is slightly obnoxious, but this project just dawned on me and I felt the need to try it while the idea was fresh in my mind. I have used wooden spoons for other projects but realized their flat round spoons would make perfect little snowman faces! This set of 4 wooden spoons from Walmart wasn’t even $1…they were only $.88! Score! You can also usually find a set of 4 at any dollar store.
I spray painted them with Rustoleum Heirloom White. Any white spray paint would do, and because they are such light-colored wood, one coat worked fine.
Once dried I prepared to paint snowman faces using a Sharpie paint pen for the eyes, a thin black marker for the eyebrows and my favorite rusty orange acrylic paint for the noses.
I played around with different faces…some with mouths and eyebrows…some without…do whatever you think is cute!
Tied on a strip of homespun fabric “scarf”…awwwwww….
They would be great sticking out of vases around the holidays! In decorative jars, a little snowman family grouped in a small crock or jug, tied onto gifts…you could stick em’ anywhere!
Looking at them, I realize there is SO much more you could do with these…
- Add rosy cheeks
- Different styles of mouths (like x’s or a long thin squiggly line)
- Seal with a coat of sparkly Mod Podge to make them shimmer
- Sand the edges and use brown craft paint or gel stain to “grubby” them up
- Glue spaced out buttons down the length of the stick
- Add a rusty tin star around the neck
- Tie a tall one and short one together
- Drill a tiny hole to make em into hanging ornaments
- OR…spray paint the spoons ORANGE and do PUMPKIN faces!!! OOOOooooh…those are going to happen for sure!!!
What other ways could you jazz them up? If you try these, send me pics so I can post them here! 🙂
Have a great night and happy crafting! BBS!