Witch Hats

I’ve been feeling particularly Halloweenie lately, given all the Fall goodness that is out in the craft stores. I picked up these paper mache witch hats for $1.oo each at Michael’s and, with a little spray paint and hot glue, converted them into primitive style witch hat decorations. I think they came out pretty cute!

DSC_0115

Here’s the blank canvas.

DSC_0100

First, I spray painted them black. All I had was glossy paint on hand. I usually like to use a matte finish for projects like this. After it dried I sanded it, to make it look a little worn and prim.

DSC_0102

Next, I mixed up some orange acrylic paint with water, to make a really thin orange paint, which works best for splattering. I then used the messy, yet effective “splatter technique,” which is using your fingers to pull back the bristles of the brush and let the paint splatter paint over your surface.

DSC_0101

After it dried like this, I sprayed it with a satin clear coat, mainly to disguise the half glossy/half sanded look. Next time, I’d probably used a matte black paint so that it doesn’t look so funky after sanding.

DSC_0103

While that dried, I made some little tags to decorate the hats with.

DSC_0105

I trimmed the tags to make them a bit smaller and stamped out the words “The witch is in.”

DSC_0108

Next, use some homespun around the base of the hat. I hot glued it in place like this.

DSC_0109

Then I tied some raffia around the base of the hat and also hot glued it down in a few places, but also leaving it loose and flowing.

DSC_0110

I finished them off with some large vintage buttons that I tied on with the tags. I also put a dab of hot glue under them as well, for extra hold.

DSC_0117

DSC_0120

Here they are all done. I am really pleased with them. They are heading over to my co-op today and I am thinking $14 each. I’ve never made anything like this before so not sure how they will sell. We’ll see!

DSC_0118

Happy Fall to all my craft friends out there!